Friday, November 17, 2006

This Is Huge!

Huge for me, as others may not truly understand or appreciate why this is such a big deal to me but that's ok, feel free to enjoy my enthusiasm.

I saw a man about a chin. Ok, actually a woman, a surgeon to be exact. And guess what, I could very well have a shiny new chin for Christmas. In fact it may be a soon as Nov 27th.
let me explain...

Remember my post about my hand surgeon bringing up my "weak" chin? Well he hooked me up with another doctor. Really this was for shits & giggles and so I could find out how much the implant would cost. Well almost immediately she ruled out implants, that's not what she does. She slices the bottom of the jaw bone, slides it forward and screws it in place with a bent "x" shaped plate. She guesstimated the thickness of my jaw bone to be 6-8mm ...average is 10mm, but they can never really tell until they open you up. She also measured how small my chin is, it's 20mm smaller then average. ( I have a 4 year old chin) Now lets just say my chin bone is only 6mm thick. Sliced and brought forward would only give an extra 6mm to my chin and really not make enough of a difference to go through with such a huge surgery. Implants are only 10mm thick, again not a huge difference. She asked if I could wait a few moments so she could speak to the other surgeon to get his opinion. Of course I would wait!

Fast forward and this is what they decided, nix the implant idea all together. Instead they want to not only slice and bring the bone forward once, but TWICE. This would give anywhere from 12-16+mm, and enough to make the surgery worth it!

Here's the best part, because this is a "deformity" related to my RA I am fully covered!

Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!! Haha.

Now for the Nov 27th "catch". I have been put on a waiting list and the person scheduled for that time slot may cancel, just like what happened with my hand surgery in July. If not Nov 27th, then it may not happen until the new year, but my friends it WILL happen and I am soooo excited to finally have a chin!

For all those who may now feel the urge to say, "but you're pretty as you are." "why would you want to put yourself through that?" "you really don't need it." "you're just a glutton for punishment." etc...ZIP IT! I have dreamt about this day for over 17 years. I will always have crippled hands, and scary feet but this "Chinless Wonder" will be chinless no more!

Let the angels sing...

P.S. "the other surgeon" turned out to be my hand surgeon who also does chin implants. He requested to join in on this which I thought was pretty cool as he is by far my favorite surgeon evah! Oh and that's not all of his expertise, apparently he does breast reconstruction also. Kind of a strange combo of body parts really.... Even odder that they could all apply to me...hmmmm do these AA's need to be added to my extreme makeover list? LOL. Nah, I think all stick to my gel bra's, much cheaper and safer than implants...HA!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

WoW!! How exciting! And it's covered!!

It's always nice when things go your way for a little while!!

strawberrygirl said...

Yeah Auntie Danea!!!!!! Wow, you are so hot now.... what is going to be like with the new chin? Lotsa "chin-waggin'" will be happin' for sure! LOL:)

Anonymous said...

WTG Dear..Keep your chin up!!!

cari said...

I am so excited!!!! So excited!!!

Gina said...

Well, I think that's awesome! If it's something you've been wanting to do, go for it! Hope it all goes well, and recovery is fast. Gotta bookmark your blog and check it out for updates!

Anonymous said...

My dear dil. You are lovely as is, but I know this is what you have been wanting, so am very happy for you. Can't wait to see the new you. Better eat lots of Turkey cuz you may be drinking your food for a while.

MIL

Unknown said...

that is so awesome!! i know you have been wanting that for as long as i have known you, so i am truly happy for you :)

Anonymous said...

what everyone doesnt know is that it will be the 2nd one, so therefor you are twice as brave as they think you are. That is my girl !!!