Thursday, March 05, 2009

Gettin' Crafty

Sometime last summer after purchasing the bright green potty for Asa, I looked around the bathroom and decided it was time for a change. The bathroom was Egyptian theme...don't ask, and I felt it was time for something more child friendly. However this is still the main bathroom, so I did want a child's theme exactly, but something that would work for both adult and child. Make sense? So I shopped around and found a bright floral shower curtain and went from there.

I like monkeys and found some cute accessories at Target, including a matching monkey face mat. This would be the kids side of the decor and easily changeable if desired. Well being that we needed to start watching our budget I decided everything else would be made or purchased from dollar store finds. So I found some Dollar Tree frames that I added my own flower blossoms, paper leaves and circle stamps to. These were a play off the curtain. Again, from the Dollar Tree I found some flowers, a vase and glass pebbles. It was now coming together.


Now what was left, was a large blank spot over the toilet and with the determination to stay cheap I purchased a $5 canvas from Big Lots. It's been in the closet ever since. Months! Finally, on Monday I had a bit of energy and was feeling creative, so using the monkey's and the curtain as inspiration I pulled out the craft paints and went to work. I'm not one who can draw off the top of my head but give me something to "copy" and I do pretty good. So here are the monkeys...


And here is my painting...


I copied the look of the flowers from the curtain, which you can kinda see in the first picture. All in all, it's not fantastic but I think it's pretty cute if I do say so myself ...and I do, regardless if it sounds tacky or vain ...haha. Besides Asa makes monkey squawks every time he looks at it so at least it's recognizable, and that's all I was hoping for!

7 comments:

SplendidlyImperfect said...

Oh, yeah... that TOTALLY sucks. (insert eyeroll here) I wanna smack you sometimes for being that talented!

Danea Burleson said...

Hey! I never said it sucked. I said I was pretty impressed with myself. Course Jeff just pointed out there is no banana...blah, blah blah.

I think I've already been smacked for being talented remember... bwahaha! Besides it takes one to know one, so I'll just smack ya back.

Anonymous said...

Nana! Nana! Nana!

Devon said...

That's awesome!! You totally have to help me with my house when the time comes. You rock!!

Susanne P. said...

i.hate.you.




(it does look awesome) but i still hate you.

Danea Burleson said...

No you don't you looooovvvveee me!

Devon, it'll be fun! :)

Renee' Morris-Dezember said...

oh that turned out awesome!!!!