Thursday, August 27, 2009

Newone

Sleep. I finally got some last night. I could still use more but I can't complain, not after the past few weeks. Let's go back a bit and talk about the newone -Odin that is.

It's amazing how soon babies show their distinct personalities and how much they can differ from one another. Asa, as I have mentioned in the past, was a very easy baby. Pretty much all you had to do was feed him, change his diapers and put him in his swing where he would sleep all day. At night he would go to bed with ease. No fuss, no muss. Hence the desire for a second, oh but the jokes on us. Odin, well it's a good thing he's cute and smiley! You see my Oz Myster is a bit of a needy baby. Hold me, entertain me sorta deal. It could be worse he could have been colic, so I should be counting my blessings but it's hard to count when you're blowing on a tummy to stop the crying. Ha. I truly believe it all has to do with nursing. I am so thankful I can and quite successfully at that, however I think it lends itself to the "must be mom as need to be close to my food source at all times" syndrome or mbmantbctmfsaat for short. I do miss passing the baby off for a feeding or two as it's all on me, everyday, 24/7. I wouldn't change it, it just gets tiring is all.

Now getting back to their differences. Asa was easy and content, an all around happy baby. But he was hard to amuse. A belly blow may get a laugh the first time, a smile the second, but the third would result in a stare that you know meant "is that all you got?" With Odin, well, this kid is all laughs. In fact he could be mid scream and all you have to do is make faces, or nibble his toes, pretty much anything silly and his cry will turn to a belly laugh. He is also pretty easy going when it comes to being happy, the problem lies in that he is happiest when you hold him. Admittedly it is hard to be angry with a wide awake baby at 3am when he giggles and coes when he sees you. And I love that while he is nursing, all I have to do is smile at him and he cannot resist stopping his meal for a moment to smile back. It cracks me up!

For a while there his sleep habits were pretty good, that is until Texas when his 4:30am feeding turned to feeding every two hours from the time he went to bed. It's been a bit all over the place since. Some times 2am, sometimes he'll sleep all night. This past week however he has decided he wants to go to bed late and then play when he wakes up to nurse. I have been up for 2-3 hours with him. And since he is now sharing a room with Asa, we are all up. I need Odin to learn that night is night and that meant a lot of crying and fussing but standing my ground. On the bright side, it also meant snuggling with Asa while we waited for him to settle. Asa was so sweet about it too. One night around 5am after almost 3 hours of Odin fussing and finally falling asleep, I bent down to kiss Asa goodnight.

"I'm so sorry you were kept awake sweety. Thank you for being such a good boy, mommy loves you so much. I know you're tired so if you want you can sleep in in the morning, ok?"

"Ok," he said with a nod and a smile "nigh momma." (he doesn't say t's, p, s, f, or l's yet) followed by a "Mmmmwuh!" blow kiss. Hehehe. I love my boys!

So last night, although going to bed later than I would have liked, Odin actually fell asleep on his own, without any crying and went right back to sleep after his 5am feeding. Asa woke at 8:30 and Odie woke at 9. Aaaaaaahhhh. It was wonderful!

It's funny that they showed their personalities in the womb. Asa was mellow and Odin was hell. Always moving, kicking, squirming. I just new what I was in for. I was right. He may be a bit needy but I look at it this way, in a few years he won't want to sit on my lap and snuggle at all. Nor will he think it's funny when I eat his eww pew toes. So hey, if he'd rather I blow on his belly then sit in his jumperoo then so be it. Just not at 3am, I don't care how cute you are, momma don't play dat.



5 comments:

SplendidlyImperfect said...

WHAT THE HELL - okay, you really need to post more often because that CAN'T be Odin - he's so big already!!! Holy moly! Where has this year gone?

Shelley said...

Oh my gosh, what sweet pictures!! Odin is growing like weed!! I always thought that Asa looked alot like Jeff. But Odin, he looks alot like you...especially in the last photo. Such adorable little boys you have!!

Black Bear Hollow said...

OMG! He's so adorable!!! Kiss them both bunches for me. Just precious. How could Terry let them out of her clutches?! I'd smootch on them all day. Lucky YOU!

xo
Wisteria

Rebecca said...

HOLY CRAP mini Dusten!!!!....weird and cute all at the same time

Renee' Morris-Dezember said...

Danea he is so adorable!!! I can't believe how much he has grown - time is just flying by!!!