Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Choosing My Battles

And so it begins.

Yes he is in motion. Yes he is hearing a lot of the word "NO!". Yes I seem to be constantly up and down and back and forth, turning him, distracting him, whatever it takes.

And then there was quiet. I sipped my tea. Leaning back for a moment of solitude, I closed my eyes. There was movement, rustling, and I made a choice. With a quick peek behind the couch, I smiled, sat back and took another sip of tea. This I could handle.

He was happy, and I, I finally had a quiet moment to myself. Sadly, all good things must come to an end.

5 comments:

Susanne P. said...

i didn't learn the 'choosing your battles' until CJ became such a handful when he turned 13. i am glad i learned it or i would have seriously harmed him. it is a great moto to have. i think it made all the difference in where him and i are now.

Devon said...

That's so funny!! This is what I have to look forward to!! I can't wait to see the pictures from when he's walking!

SplendidlyImperfect said...

That's quite the impressive mess. My husband keeps his DVDs and CDs in special binders, so those will be safe, but my books... not looking forward to THAT!!!

Danea Burleson said...

Well the books are on the next shelves up. I figured these could withstand slobber and gum gnaws with little to no damage. Books on the other hand...not so much.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the DVDs and CDs. nothing is sacred!! Little hands can get into everything they find curious. In our house everything worth saving is high up, or locked up. It makes for VERY messy shelves. Our books were a tough battle, but we won. Now if the girls even touch mine or the hubby's books, it's TIME OUT! So now children's books litter the floor. Oh well.