Wednesday, February 25, 2009

And then there was one.

Today we had to make a very heartbreaking decision. Our oldest fur baby took a turn for the worst over the weekend and we took him in to have him put down. This was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. Secretly I had hoped to find he had passed in his sleep when we went to get him to place in the career, but on the other hand I wanted to be with him when he took his last breath.

This morning I knew it was time as he had lost some control over bodily functions through the night, so I gave him a bath and tucked him into a snugly bed. I knew at this point there would be no bouncing back from this. Jeff stayed with Asa in the patient room and I followed the doctor to a treatment table in another room. I was there with my hand on his chest, stroking his ear with my thumb as the doctor gave him some sleeping gas. I weaped silently for my sweet little fur baby. I continued to stroke his fur tenderly as the injection went in and his chest swelled three times and then was done. I have broke down a few times since, but know that in the end it was the right thing to do.

Olly, Olly Oxen Free.

Rest in peace little guy. You will be missed and forever loved.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love ya big guy.

Outnumbered said...

i'm so sorry!

Anonymous said...

Crying here for Ollie. As you know, he was my favorite. I will miss that sweet little guy. MIL

Danea Burleson said...

I think you were a favorite of his too, despite you sitting on him...hahaha. Truth be told he was a favorite of many. Mostly you old folks, I'm guessing there was a kindred bond, ya'll could relate, plus there's the gray hair thing...hehe. But then again, it could be that he was the only one you could get snuggles with. I'm going to miss that the most.

SplendidlyImperfect said...

I thought you had three?

I'm so sorry for your loss. We've had to do that before, and I know how bad it sucks. I got goodebumps when I read the second to last line.

Danea Burleson said...

Unfortunately we had to find Sadie a new home last Sept because she was just too unpredictable with Asa and nipped him a few times when he became mobile. It wasn't worth the risk. It was easy to monitor her around him when all he did was sit still. :)

Anonymous said...

that sucks sorry to hear that :(

Anonymous said...

He was a sweet sweet animal and you gave him a lot of good years and a lot of love. He will be missed! I love you , Mom

Devon said...

That is so hard to put a pet to sleep, even when you know it's for the best. I'm sorry to hear that he is gone.

Susanne P. said...

great...now i am crying again. i was just crying over a damn tv show and now this.

i will miss him when i come visit. he always let me hold him the longest.

Danea Burleson said...

"that sucks sorry to hear that :("

Dude, you should soooooo write greeting cards. LMBO! I can picture one of those cartoon bunnies saying this. Know which ones I mean?